One would expect public opinion to have less effect on federal judges, who are appointed for life than it has on those state judges who must regularly stand for reelection. For this assignment, youll focus on the basis of judicial decisions, approaches for analyzing those decisions, as well as the impact they have on society, precedent, and the law.
Complete the following sections of the to address the following:
- Discuss whether judicial decisions are based on a) facts, laws, and precedent (the legal subculture); b) public opinion, politics, localism (democratic subculture); or c) both. Provide specific examples and cite any sources used.
- Discuss whether the four theories or approaches (cue, small-group analysis, attitude, and rational choice) for analyzing judicial decisions are equally useful. Provide specific examples and cite any sources used.
- Explain whether judicial decisions should reflect public opinion, using a specific example, and cite any sources used.
- Describe the impact of judicial decisions on law, precedent, and social policy. Provide specific examples and cite any sources used.
Sources and Formatting
- Use at least three sources to support your writing. Your textbook may be used as one reference source and can be used more than once in your responses. Cite each reference in-text citations and include your resources on the Sources page